During the past semester, the Atlantic Coast Conference has seen the addition of four institutions and the departure of one.

This has led to speculation and talk about whether the conference is the best home for UNC’s athletics.

This University is a founding member and rightly belongs in the ACC.

The rich history, high caliber athletics and excellent academics continue to make the ACC the best fit for the University.

Academically, every school in the ACC is ranked in the top 120 colleges and universities in the nation. The importance of competing in a conference of academic equals remains an important factor in our association.

Additionally, having anchored the ACC since 1953, UNC’s history with the conference is lengthy and colorful.

The passion of fans and athletes that defines the Tobacco Road rivalry can’t be matched in any other conference. Six decades of battles on the fields and in the gyms aren’t easily replicated elsewhere.

It’s hard to imagine a day when UNC isn’t in the same conference as N.C. State University or Duke University.

Syracuse University, the University of Notre Dame, the University of Pittsburgh and University of Louisville are all joining in the next few years and will help the conference continue to excel.

UNC can take pride that the ACC will remain a powerhouse as it carries on the tradition of top-tier athletics and excellent academics.

The University will remain a leader amongst its peers, and so will the conference so long as UNC is in the ACC.