Nurse has troops’ nasal solution

Employees of NeilMed Pharmaceuticals Inc. repackage nasal spray and gel kits customized to send to troops overseas. Photo courtesy of NeilMed Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Nasal congestion doesn’t usually lead to a $2 million donation.

But for soldiers stationed in Afghanistan, a UNC Hospitals doctor, nurse and head of NeilMed Pharmaceuticals Inc. believe it does.

“It’s difficult for them to obtain these products out there on duty … It’s not like there are Walgreens,” said NeilMed co-president and co-owner Nina Mehta.

Katie Sams, a UNC Hospitals ear, nose and throat nurse, began a project to provide sinus irrigation supplies to soldiers overseas when her husband was deployed to Afghanistan in June.

Sams said her husband, who rarely complains, had told her that he was very congested as a result of the dry and sandy climate.

When he said others had similar symptoms, Sams contacted Brent Senior, a otolaryngology doctor at UNC Hospitals, to ask if he knew anyone they could partner with.

“Maybe a week later NeilMed said they wanted to donate 100,000 units to the troops — it’s pretty crazy,” she said.

The nasal spray and gel kits were repackaged with the military in mind­­ — they’re camouflaged and decorated with pictures of soldiers.

Mehta said NeilMed was impressed with Sams’ mission.

“It’s remarkable that she took this small idea of hers to help her husband and his troops and it has now developed into a much larger benefit,” Mehta said.

Senior, however, wasn’t surprised by it.

“This is totally within Katie’s character to be thinking about ways to help other people,” Senior said.

Securing the deal with NeilMed might have been easy, but shipping the kits has been a different story.

Sams said the military’s chief medical officer had to clear their request before shipments could be made to ensure the safety of soldiers.

“It was frustrating at the time — we had a company willing to donate $2 million worth of medical supplies, and it was difficult getting through to the right people, but it was completely worth it,” she said.

As of now NeilMed has shipped about 2,000 units. Organizers are hoping within six to eight months to ship the entire 100,000 units.

Sams said the feedback from the soldiers has been overwhelmingly positive.

She added she is grateful for the support, as the kits have improved the quality of the soldiers’ lives.

For now, the group remains focused on the present.

“Step one is getting all of the kits distributed,” Senior said.

“From here, we will see where it goes.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.