Bev Perdue heads to Harvard for fellowship

Bev Perdue, former N.C. governor, will be one of six fellows this spring at Harvard’s Institute of Politics.

Former Gov. Bev Perdue will be heading back to school this semester.

Perdue will be a resident fellow at Harvard University’s Institute of Politics this spring, joining big names in politics like Karen Hughes, former counselor to President George W. Bush, and Steve Kerrigan, CEO and co-chairman of the Presidential Inaugural Committee.

Esten Perez, spokesman for the institute, said the six fellows will arrive on campus in the next week or two and will stay until the end of April. There will also be visiting fellows, like former Gov. Jon Huntsman and John King, CNN’s chief national correspondent.

The resident fellows will host study groups once a week on topics of their choosing. They receive a small stipend along with provided housing, Perez said.

“We’re really happy that the governor will be there, and we think students will enjoy being in her study group,” he said. “I’m quite positive that the governor will receive dozens of invitations from student groups to speak.”

Ferrel Guillory, a UNC journalism professor and an expert on Southern politics, said it is common for the institute to invite newly former public officials.

“It’s great for the students there because they get to meet and learn from people who were just in office,” he said. “It will give her an opportunity to be a part of a network of interesting journalists and policy affectors.”

Jesse White, a professor at the UNC School of Government, was a fellow at the institute in the spring of 1990. He led a study group on modern Southern politics.

“They generally get people who are in transition, like Gov. Perdue,” White said, adding that his experience was “terrific.”

“My advice for her would be to stay there as much as possible and feast from the Harvard table,” he said. “You can audit classes — you’re encouraged to revitalize your mind, as well as share your experiences with the undergraduates.”

Guillory said it’s premature to say this will be a launching pad for Perdue’s next political move.

“I think it will give her time to think, to reflect on what she has accomplished, and what she might accomplish in the future,” he said.

Perdue, who holds a doctorate in education administration, used to host dinners for university students in the area. During her term, she vetoed state budgets that included millions in cuts to the UNC system, but the vetoes were overridden by the Republican-led N.C. General Assembly.

In an interview earlier this month, Perdue said she thought the UNC system would continue to produce leaders, which reinforces its importance to the state.

“I’m hopeful there will be a continued commitment to higher education in the future,” she said.

Perdue has also said she wants to be part of an educational foundation focusing on technology.

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.