As Women’s History Month comes to a close, I’d like to honor the far-reaching achievements of black women on this campus. The legacy they leave will affect UNC and its surrounding communities for years to come.

Being an African-American female at a large, predominantly white university isn’t always the easiest path. But, for the strongest and most passionate African-American women at UNC, the easy way was never a viable option. These women have worked to improve various aspects of the African-American experience at this University and beyond.

It is important to note that the women listed here aren’t the only ones affecting change at UNC. Those listed below are just a few of the women leading this University by example.

Through her four-year commitment to the Black Student Movement, the organization’s president Alexis Davis has continued a tradition of community, cultural awareness and political action.

With her leadership, the programming sponsored by the Black Student Movement has served not only as a resource for hundreds of student members, but also as a unifying force for cultural organizations on campus. She’s put in long, hard hours to give a collective voice to the needs of the African-American community on campus.

Tia Davis has preached financial literacy and worked to encourage economic empowerment for people of color through her work as the first African-American associate with the Kenan-Flagler Private Equity Fund, the only student-run fund in the country.

In a community ailing from obesity and the adverse affects of unhealthy living, Camille McGirt, a senior public health student, found an opportunity to educate young girls in local schools. Her nonprofit organization, Healthy Girls Save The World, has received national recognition and works locally to inform girls younger than 15 years old of the importance of a healthy lifestyle.

The notable accomplishments of African-American women at UNC aren’t limited to students; African-American female faculty members have also made strides to change the academic climate at the University.

Eunice Sahle, named the new chairwoman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies after it was rocked by scandal, has spearheaded the revitalization of African-American studies at UNC.

With Sahle’s leadership, faculty members have constructed a new department with a more comprehensive curriculum. In fall 2013, students will be able to take classes in this new African, African-American and Diaspora Studies department.

Their accomplishments are many, and the impact of those accomplishments stretches far beyond the red-bricked walkways of our University.

These women are trailblazers who forged their own paths with the mission of also lifting up their surrounding communities. They’ve overcome trials and discouragement to prove their resilience and better our University community.