Franklin Street restaurant Lantern paints over mural

Chapel Hill residents might be saddened to see a mural that has decorated Franklin Street since 1999 covered with black paint — but Chapel Hill officials say there’s nothing they can do.

The mural, painted by artist Michael Brown, featured two musicians on the side of Lantern, a restaurant located at 423 W. Franklin St.

Lantern recently decided to paint over the mural to convert its “outdoor spaces into gardens and green, vine covered walls,” according to a post on its Facebook page.

“About six months ago, (Brown) was informed of our renovation plan and responded by offering to paint a new mural in the same spot,” the post said. “Lantern’s renovation is not a comment on Michael Brown’s work, but rather a business and design decision that was made with deliberation.”

Lantern’s owner, Andrea Reusing, could not be reached for comment.

Brown said he was unhappy to see the mural removed, but didn’t take it personally.

“It seems more and more that the causes of it being done were just everyday, common miscommunication,” he said.

And Brown said this is not his first mural to be removed.

“They wear out,” he said. “Buildings change hands, and things happen.”

Brown is the artist behind 20 other Chapel Hill murals, including his most recent work on the side of the Franklin Street Mellow Mushroom.

Jeffrey York, Chapel Hill’s public and cultural arts administrator, said he was sad to see the mural go.

“Unfortunately, the mural is on private property and it was painted by private dollars,” he said. “There’s really not anything, legally, that can be done.”

York said only three of Brown’s murals are owned and maintained by the town. He said he hopes promoting these murals as part of the town’s image will prevent future removals.

“In a way, they’re sort of a historical part of the town now,” he said.

Tommy O’Connell, general manager and partner at 411 West Italian Cafe, said he walked by the now-removed mural every day on his way to work.

“(Brown’s murals) are a part of downtown, but I also understand when you have a vision for your business and your property,” O’Connell said.

He said he doesn’t think Lantern intended to cause harm when painting over it.

“It’s always a difficult thing when public arts are on private property,” O’Connell said.

And he said Reusing has good intentions for her plans to change the space.

“Andrea (Reusing) has been nothing but a great neighbor,” O’Connell said. “She does a great job at Lantern. I know she has a vision for what she wants that building to be.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.