This letter is in reply to “Be anti-oppression, don’t be anti-choice.” No matter how good it is to support “ending sexist and classist oppression,” it does not change the fact that holding up abortion as a “choice” for a woman is the same thing as upholding that a woman should be able to kill her own child.

Consult any science textbook for proof that the child is alive — and has his/her own unique human DNA from the moment of conception — and is therefore capable of being killed.

The fetus is not a human being, you say? How do you explain the fact that fetuses who have survived abortion are walking around today, accepted as human beings like the rest of us?

How could these people — such as world-famous Gianna Jessen, who survived a saline abortion (for those who don’t know, saline abortions burn the fetus to kill them) — be just fetuses one moment, but suddenly, when the abortion doesn’t work, become human babies and be alive today?

A “non-human” doesn’t have a gender; last time I checked, we don’t call troublesome blobs of cells “he” or “she.” Before “pro-choice activists” start talking about how much they care about women, they need to clear up inconsistencies in their position.

Emily Ascik ’15
Linguistics