UNC introduces Spanish version of 'The Vagina Monologues'

The Vagina Monologues was a female cast that portrayed a variety of different characters who relayed information based on over 200 interviews. It touched on the subjects of sex, rape, love, masturbation, orgasm, birth, and more. Carolina Company partnered with V-Day to present this play. 

Izzy Francke Junior Drama/German
The Vagina Monologues was a female cast that portrayed a variety of different characters who relayed information based on over 200 interviews. It touched on the subjects of sex, rape, love, masturbation, orgasm, birth, and more. Carolina Company partnered with V-Day to present this play. Izzy Francke Junior Drama/German

Para español, haz clic aquí.

Theatrical student organizers are looking to make a play with a universal message — about women’s vaginas — even broader.

This year, a famous theatrical display of women’s vaginas has come to UNC for the first time in an all-Spanish rendition of Eve Ensler’s groundbreaking play, “The Vagina Monologues.”

Company Carolina and V-Day Carolina have collaborated for the past 12 years to present “The Vagina Monologues” in English, but this year V-Day Carolina decided to introduce a Spanish version as well.

The Spanish version opens tonight, and it premiered in English Thursday — with two more English shows on Saturday.

For the first time, this year, there are also co-directors for the play: Carla Davis-Castro and Kei Alegria-Flores.

“‘The Vagina Monologues’ has been performed on this campus for 12 to 13 years, and we are excited to start a new tradition with the Spanish show,” Davis-Castro said. “The Spanish version of ‘The Vagina Monologues’ is a pilot, and I am excited to see it continue for years to come.”

“The Vagina Monologues” was first performed by its notable all-female cast in 1996 off-Broadway and has become a staple in feminist theater ever since. It has been performed in 48 different languages around the world in more than 140 countries to numerous audiences.

Tanya Davis-Castro, the narrator in both the English and Spanish versions of “The Vagina Monologues,” described the play as a group of monologues that are a combination of what Ensler refers to as “vagina interviews,” where women talked about their vaginas and their experiences with them throughout their lives.

Ensler’s play combines a myriad of female voices: a 6-year-old girl, an elderly New Yorker, a vagina workshop participant, a woman who sees her granddaughter being born, a Bosnian survivor of rape and a feminist.

“The monologues are a big mix of stories that show women across the world,” Carla Davis-Castro said.

The importance of “The Vagina Monologues” is crucial in light of the violence against women that happens on a global scale daily, she added

Ensler insisted that any reproductions of her original screenplay donate 100 percent of the profits to local beneficiaries that fight to end violence against women.

Company Carolina and V-Day Carolina are donating their ticket revenue to the Orange County Rape Crisis Center and El Centro Hispano, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention program.
“‘The Vagina Monologues’ mean hope,” Carla Davis-Castrosaid.

“It means hope for daring to speak of unpleasant things and the celebration of uplifting things in a woman’s life.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.