If you went to Dartmouth, you wouldn’t have class today. On Tuesday evening, students received an email informing them that classes will “be replaced by alternative programming designed to bring students, faculty, and staff together to discuss Dartmouth’s commitment to fostering debate that promotes respect for individuals, civil and engaged discourse, and the value of diverse opinions.”
The cancellation was called in response to an act of protest, which happened this past Friday night.
More than a dozen student activists interrupted a show for accepted Dartmouth students, declaring, “Dartmouth has a problem.”
While no two struggles are identical, UNC has that same problem: the inappropriate handling of sexual assault and sexism on campus.
The first name on the signature line of the email sent out to Dartmouth students is our very own future chancellor, Carol Folt.
I commend Folt for her audacity to sign off on today’s cancellation. Students at Dartmouth made their voices heard and, under Folt’s direction, the school’s leadership took a strong first step of action.
Students here at UNC haven’t hesitated to be vocal either, demanding a safer, more inclusive and democratic community.
I implore Folt to continue to foster a strong sense of community and make bold moves when she joins us in the South. Nobody wants to ruin CTOPS.

Alanna Davis ’13
Global studies