Paupers Players goes back to the 1960s in 'Hair'

Richard Walden, a sophomore Dramatic Arts and Psychology major from Asheville, NC, performs the role of Berger in UNC Pauper Players performance in Hair.

1960s America. Love, sex, war and drugs created a revolutionary atmosphere — and tonight Pauper Players revives those feelings with its spring production of “Hair.”

“Hair” is about a group of hippies in New York City protesting the Vietnam War draft. It follows the story of main characters Claude, Berger and Sheila.

The play is directed by senior Paul Hovey, who said he envisioned a collaborative approach to the production, which is the first musical he has directed.

“‘Hair’ is about how you feel, rebelling against the man and finding your identity,” Hovey said.

“And I as a student director cannot do that without my actors finding that in themselves. I tried to guide the actors to find the answers that they needed instead of having them ask me.”

Hovey said no one in the cast of 23 actors had never performed “Hair” before, but each found his or her own place in the hippie tribe.

Emily Ruffin, who is co-producing the show with Brittney Holland, said Hovey’s rendition of “Hair” influenced her decision to act as a producer for the first time.

“I wanted to see another side of the production process aside from acting,” she said.

“(Hovey’s) very artistic vision was something I really wanted to be a part of.”

The production is also a formative experience for actor Cressler Peele, who plays Claude, the lead male role.

“This has definitely been the hardest character for me to get into because it’s so different from how I am in everyday life,” Peele said.

But “Hair” is not completely foreign to Peele, who said he has seen the production three times — including on Broadway.

“It’s a show that isn’t really like any other musical out there. It’s very free, and the love that the cast has for each other is so clear that the audience can see it,” Peele said.

“So for me, it’s really awesome to be part of a show where the emotions of the cast are so clear and out there for the audience to feel.”

Cressler said he hopes these emotions will affect even those audience members who are not necessarily interested in musical theater.

“I think there’s a musical for everyone, and this musical has so much beauty and such important messages,” Cressler said.

“Musicals aren’t just about jazz hands. There can be real, important meaning and beauty in musicals.”

Beauty isn’t the only thing this 1960s musical represents, though.

The piece exudes 1960s themes of change, protest and unrest — all of which the cast and crew said they attempted to maintain in their adaptation.

Hovey said he hopes the audience remembers what it’s like to be young and full of energy, rebellion and love.

“‘Hair’ was revolutionary in 1968,” he said.

“It broke theatrical and social rules, and I tried to be as true to that as possible — so be ready for literally anything.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.