Dean Jim Dean to become University's next provost

Jim Dean, the current dean of the Kenan-Flagler Business School, will serve as the University’s next executive vice chancellor and provost, once current provost Bruce Carney steps down at the end of June.

Dean — who has held leadership positions in the business school since 1998 and has served in its top position since 2008 — will serve as second-in-command to chancellor-elect Carol Folt. Both will begin their new positions July 1.

After the selection committee submitted its recommendation, Folt made the final decision in choosing her number two, said Wade Hargrove, chairman of the Board of Trustees.

He said the recommendation was also unanimously supported by the board.

“He’s a great choice, and we’re very excited,” Hargrove said.

“He’s had a successful tenure as dean of the business school — highly regarded by his colleagues, within the university as well as alumni with whom he has worked.”

Carney first announced his plans to step down in August, but the search for his replacement was put on hold after Chancellor Holden Thorp’s own decision to resign one month later.

Thorp then re-formed the provost search committee in January so that his replacement would be able to participate in the selection process.

Hargrove said Folt was very involved in the selection process. He said Dean’s current leadership role within UNC may have been part of why he was chosen.

“(His experience) certainly could be particularly helpful to this chancellor who is coming to the university from outside,” he said.

University Editor Jordan Bailey contributed reporting.