Game three update: UNC leads South Carolina 5-4 through 7

North Carolina baseball leads 5-4 after seven innings in game three of the Super Regional.

The Tar Heels used a three-run sixth-inning rally to come from behind and take the lead over South Carolina.

Sophomore Benton Moss started for UNC, allowing a single off his first batter and hitting his second.
But the right-hander seemed to settle in after making a defensive play to keep leadoff runner Graham Saiko from scoring position on a fielder’s choice from South Carolina’s third batter of the game.

Moss then got L.B. Dantzler to fly out and struck out Grayson Greiner to end the inning.

Although UNC leadoff man Chaz Frank reached on a South Carolina shortstop fielding error, he was tagged out advancing to second on Landon Lassiter’s single. Colin Moran lined into a double play leaving the game scoreless after the first inning.

In the second inning, Chapel Hill native Gamecock Max Schrock grounded out to first base before Connor Bright gave South Carolina a hit with hope, sending a double right over third baseman Moran’s glove.

Moss got Kyle Martin out swinging before Tanner English singled to score Bright and make it 1-0 South Carolina. English was caught stealing second with leadoff hitter Saiko back at bat as UNC minimized damage.

Gamecock starting pitcher Jack Wynkoop got Skye Bolt and Cody Stubbs to ground out quickly in the bottom of the second inning before hitting Michael Russell to give UNC a man on. Brian Holberton, who’d made the throw to second base to end the top of the second inning, then hit a home run over the left field wall, scoring himself and Russell to give the home team a 2-1 lead.

After a fly out and a walked batter, coach Scott Forbes pulled Moss from the mound and freshman righty closer Trent Thornton took over.

Thornton struck out his first batter and the second flew out to take the game into the bottom of the third.

South Carolina brought out left hander Adam Westmoreland in the bottom of the third inning after Frank grounded out before Lassiter reached on a single.

Westmoreland faced Moran, who hit into a double play for the second time and ended the third inning.

Both North Carolina and South Carolina relievers powered through the fourth with 1-2-3 innings.

A walked batter to start the fifth and a dropped fly ball put two Gamecock runners on base before a Saiko sacrifice bunt moved South Carolina to scoring position.

Pankake came to bat and sent a fly ball to center field, but Frank dropped the ball, giving South Carolina two unearned runs and the 3-2 lead.

Thornton got Dantzler, the next batter, to fan and ended the top of the inning.

Holberton and Zolk popped and grounded out, respectively, in the bottom of the fifth.

Although Parks Jordan reached first on a South Carolina error, Frank flew out to right field, ending the inning with no North Carolina runs.

South Carolina extended its lead in the sixth inning after two singles and a fielder’s choice on a bunt.

UNC made the preventative play off the bunt, keeping a Gamecock from standing in scoring position for the second time of the game, but two batters later, a double just inside the left-field line, gave Schrock time to run home.

South Carolina’s Saiko grounded out to put North Carolina at bat, trailing 4-2

Designated hitter Lassiter led off the inning with a single and Moran followed the act with a triple to right field for the first run of the inning.

Bolt was hit by a pitch and Stubbs flew out, but Bolt advanced to third on a throwing error and Moran ran home to tie it 4-4.

Russell grounded out but Holberton was walked intentionally.

Zolk walked to load the bases for Jordan, who was also walked to force in the run for the lead.

Frank flew out to end the sixth inning, then the seventh went quickly for each team, with only Greiner reaching on a walk.