Four IFC fraternities choose social suspension punishment for GPAs

Phi Gamma Delta, Zeta Psi, Pi Kappa Alpha and Pi Lambda Phi will be able to recruit members this fall — but they will not be able to host parties for them.

The four Interfraternity Council chapters were punished for having a GPA that did not meet the University-wide average for the spring 2013 semester, which was 3.208. If the fraternities could not match the University’s average by spring, they had the option of meeting the cumulative average for the University, 3.183, over the past three semesters.

The four chapters failed to meet those GPA thresholds.

The fraternities were given the option of forgoing recruitment this fall or going on social suspension until they raised their chapters’ GPA averages. All four fraternities chose the social suspension option.

None of the presidents of the four IFC fraternities could be reached for comment.

Phi Gamma Delta, the fraternity that was furthest from meeting the spring 2013 threshold, received a 3.058 — 0.15 points away.

Aaron Bachenheimer, the director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, said the four fraternities chose to go on social suspension, which is the prohibition of chapter-organized social events with or without alcohol.

This includes, but is not limited to, cocktails, date functions, mixers, tailgates and pregames.

Seven Greek organizations were not in compliance with the GPA requirement as of spring 2013.

Three Greek Alliance groups — Delta Phi Omega sorority, Alpha Kappa Delta Phi sorority, and Pi Alpha Phi fraternity — decided to forgo the recruitment of first-semester students, the original punishment necessitated by the policy.

Alcohol-free events cleared in advance by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, such as a philanthropic events or members-only events, are still allowed.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp said in an interview last week he offered this alternative punishment in order to promote the spirit and expectation of the policy — to encourage chapters to focus on academic successes and the transition to college life.

According to the policies, if the chapters fail to comply with or adhere to the restrictions or requirements imposed by the University, they will be referred to Dean of Students Jonathan Sauls for further review. Consequences for violating either punishment can include revocation of University recognition.