Q&A with family law author Margaret Klaw

Lawyer Margaret Klaw, who specializes in family law, will have her first book published today by Chapel Hill’s Algonquin Books. Photo courtesy of Margaret Klaw.

Margaret Klaw, a lawyer who specializes in family law, will have her first book published through Chapel Hill’s Algonquin Books today. “Keeping It Civil: The Case of the Pre-Nup and The Porsche & Other True Accounts from the Files of a Family Lawyer” details a variety of Klaw’s past cases to give readers a look into various aspects of family law.

Klaw spoke to Staff Writer Tat’yana Berdan about her interest in family law and the struggles she faced while writing about her job.

Daily Tar Heel: What inspired you to write this book?

Margaret Klaw: I think that family law, despite doing it every day, is still incredibly interesting, and I know that other people are really interested. I wanted to give people backstage insight into what goes on inside the court and between lawyers and clients.

DTH: Can you tell me a little bit about this book?

MK: The book is about the day-to-day life of a family lawyer. It’s the story of the type of people I represent told case by case. It’s a behind-the-scenes look. I’m writing about the stories of the people I represent, but also what’s going on more broadly between the parties and in family law.

DTH: What got you interested in family law?

MK: I went to law school because I was very interested in women’s rights issues. I had worked in a battered women’s shelter, and I was going to court with people as a kind of helper and became fascinated by the court system and law. When I got out of law school, I worked for a firm that did family law. (Family law) is very people oriented. I kind of got hooked on it right out of law school.

DTH: Can you tell me a little bit about your writing process?

MK: I’ve always loved writing. About three years ago, I decided to write about what I do on a day-to-day basis, so I started a blog, called Family Law Unraveled. It was really fun. Then I started writing for different websites.

Throughout that process, I decided to write a book. I was looking for a publisher, and it didn’t take long to get a publishing contract. I think that reflects the fact that these are very topical issues — I wrote a whole long chapter in the book about a case where I was creating a sperm donor contract.

DTH: What was the most challenging thing about writing this book?

MK: Finding the time to do it because I have a small law firm that I run with my partners. I started carving out time during the week — I took Friday’s off and worked from home. However, I loved the process of writing. I find it’s the perfect anecdote (to my job) because it’s solitary, in my head, and there is no multitasking. It’s a really good balance, and it’s very theraputic to write.

DTH: What advice do you have for young lawyers who are interested in going into family law?

MK: In order to maintain this area of practice with your sanity, you have to create a boundary between your client and yourself so you don’t burn out.

But you can’t have too much distance because you won’t care about your client. My advice is that you have to make sure you can get that balance right. It’s a very hard thing when you’re a young lawyer starting out.