Carter, Loeb dominate Fab Four Invite

CARY — Hayley Carter first met Jamie Loeb when she was eight years old.

Since then, the two tennis players have developed their games — having both been ranked within the top two spots on Tennisrecruiting.net — and a friendship both on and off the court.

Last November, Carter and Loeb each signed letters of intent to play tennis for North Carolina.

And now, nearly a year later, the two freshmen have added another chapter to their storied relationship by picking up their first collegiate victory together.

At the UNC women’s tennis team’s fall-season opening tournament this weekend, the duo defeated Alabama’s Erin Routliffe and Danielle Spielmann 8-4 Saturday, winning the blue draw doubles final of the Duke Fab Four Invitational.

Loeb said this weekend’s tournament was not the first time the two players have played together, adding that they were able use the familiarity to their advantage.

“I like playing with Hayley a lot,” she said.

“We played a few tournaments beforehand together so we know each other pretty well. She’s a pretty strong player and a good partner to have. And we both set each other up well so I think we’re a good team.”

Carter and Loeb also put together solid performances when not on the court together, as each advanced to the singles finals in their respective draws on Sunday, joined by sophomore Whitney Kay. The Tar Heels were represented in the singles finals off all three of the tournament’s brackets .

While Carter was the only Tar Heel to emerge out of Sunday with a singles title, coach Brian Kalbas commended all three of his players’ start to the season.

Despite having defeated Texas’ Breaunna Addison before, Loeb fell to the sophomore All-American 6-2, 6-3. Kay got off to a strong start in her match, fighting through a foot injury, but dropped it 7-5, 6-4 to Miami sophomore Kelsey Laurente while Carter defeated Florida senior Sofie Oyen 6-2, 6-4.

“I’m just really excited that we had a player in each of the finals of the flights of singles,” Kalbas said. “A tremendous day and tournament for everybody.”

Though Carter has begun her career at UNC with two titles, she said she’s more excited about having finally joined her college team.

“We all did really well this weekend and it’s great to finally have my first college matches,” she said.

“It’s a great atmosphere and a lot of fun to be a part of this team.”

For Kalbas, the reunion of Carter and Loeb couldn’t have been more timely.

“They’re able to play just so many matches against great competition and not be fazed by the different surroundings and the expectations of being in college,” he said.

“They played well and they fought hard, and I think their toughness is going to be something we’re going to really need and rely on throughout the year.”