Crystal Dunn dazzles in UNC shutout

Fetzer Field was slick on Thursday night in Chapel Hill when the No. 4 North Carolina women’s soccer team took on in-state rival N.C. State.

But senior midfielder Crystal Dunn’s moves were even more slick in the Tar Heels dominant 3-0 victory against the Wolfpack.

“She is one of the greatest dribblers I’ve ever seen in my life,” coach Anson Dorrance said, “almost like a shoot first point guard. She just (says), ‘Come at me, I’m going to carve you off the dribble and bash this thing into the goal.’”

About 20 minutes into the scoreless game, Dunn showcased that fancy footwork at the top of the box. As her defender fell for a hard fake, Dunn hit a low hard strike with her left foot to the side, finding the net to give UNC a lead it would not relinquish.

“I was going toward the right side and I kept her going that way,” Dunn said. “Then I cut it real quick back to the left and I got the ball on my left foot.”

While the Wolfpack had trouble getting any sort of offensive opportunities and rarely possessed the ball in their offensive end, the Tar Heels had no issue finding the goal.

With 26 shots, the Tar Heels thoroughly peppered the N.C. State goal, forcing Wolfpack goalkeeper Mackenzie Stelljes to make five saves.

The Tar Heels’ second goal of the night was Dunn’s eleventh of the season.

As freshman Amber Munerlyn dribbled toward the right side of the goal from the 18-yard box, Dunn trailed her, and the youngster knew what she had to do.

“I saw her coming in underneath so I knew I had to give it to her,” Munerlyn said. “I just flicked it under my foot.”

Dunn took it from there, threading two defenders and slipping it past the goalie on a shot she didn’t think she’d made until she heard cheering.

While at this point it seems as though Dorrance might be expecting performances like this from his best player every game, he said he can’t.

“What’s she’s doing is truly remarkable,” Dorrance said. “If I ever take that kid for granted just smack me in the face.”