Frey sparks field hockey team in return from accident

Abby Frey must be used to surviving scares.

In her first game back for the No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team after being hit by a car Oct. 4, Frey and the UNC field hockey team withstood a late rally to beat No. 7 Boston College 5-2.

After missing three games due to the accident, the junior back was part of a strong defensive effort that held on to take a victory Saturday. UNC raced out to a 3-0 lead in the first 15 minutes, but Boston College responded, cutting the lead down to 3-2 with 19 minutes to play.

“We’re trying to play a full 70 minutes, and we still don’t think we’ve gotten there yet,” sophomore Casey Di Nardo said.

But that was the last goal Boston College would score. UNC added two more goals from Di Nardo for the final margin.

“We prepared in practice, and then throughout the whole game we just did everything that we practiced,” Frey said. “We pulled it through.”

Frey proved crucial in helping the Tar Heels record a victory in the battle of ACC heavyweights. Both UNC and Boston College are ranked top 10 in the country.

“I’m very excited to get a big ACC win here (Saturday),” coach Karen Shelton said.

Frey and freshman teammate Jessica Pereira were injured the day before UNC’s game against Maryland when they were hit while on a scooter. Frey missed additional games against Wake Forest and California while she recovered.

Although she had to shake off some early jitters in her return, Frey soon settled into a groove, and helped keep pace with Boston College’s frenetic rally.

Frey ended her weekend by helping UNC record a 10-0 shutout against Davidson giving the Tar Heels a 12-2 record on the season. North Carolina only has four games left to play in the regular season — a good time to have Frey and their defense back to full strength.

“I was a little nervous, which I feel like made me feel like I was out of shape,” Frey said.

“But once I got rolling in the game, I felt fine.”