George Cianciolo: Candidate for Chapel Hill Town Council

Cianciolo is a newcomer

With less than a week until Election Day, The Daily Tar Heel spoke with the Chapel Hill Town Council candidates to discuss major issues facing the town council. Election Day is Nov. 5.

Candidate name: George Cianciolo

Age: 64

Daily Tar Heel: What do you think is the biggest issue facing the Chapel Hill Town Council?

Cianciolo: A comprehensive growth plan for the town.

DTH: Some groups already feel undermined by Chapel Hill 2020, which you were a huge part of. How do you respond?

Cianciolo: When we brought it to the town council for adoption 2012, we stipulated that 2020 was a work in progress.

If you look at what’s going on in town in the past year, there’s been a tremendous effort. There’s been extensive work and progress on Ephesus Church and in the Obey Creek area across from Southern Village.

I think there has been tremendous progress made and what 2020 did was set a different method for a comprehensive plan. It was one that included citizens and of course a process like this takes a lot more time. The true measure of success will be a year or two down the round.

DTH: Why are you the best candidate for the job?

Cianciolo: I feel like out of the newcomers, I’ve have the most experience. I’ve had 23 years of cumulative experience serving on advisory board and taking leadership positions.