Calder called up in Hatchell’s absence

As he sat in the pressroom at Carmichael Arena, he was asked to recall when he found out that Sylvia Hatchell, his co-worker of 28 years, had been diagnosed with leukemia.

He tried his best to still his emotions, but the North Carolina women’s basketball associate head coach couldn’t help but get choked up.

Andrew Calder had been thrust into directing the team in Hatchell’s stead, but despite the difficulty that posed, he was focused on his coach.

“I got a call from coach Hatchell on Friday night and met with her on Saturday,” he said. “And she told me the situation, that she’s very confident in us, and hopefully she’ll be back very soon to coach this basketball team.”

Monday, 16 days before the team’s first game, UNC was thrown a curveball when Hatchell’s diagnosis was released and it was announced that she would be taking a leave. Though Hatchell will not be able to take her usual role, Calder said the 61-year-old coach is still very involved in the team.

“She will be missed,” he said. “However, each year, she evaluates the talent that she has coming in and, with her philosophy, puts together a master game plan for that year. We’re just implementing that game plan. When she returns we will be on schedule.”

Calder also said Hatchell receives a copy of each practice and evaluates it with him, and she still dictates how practice is scheduled.

But a plan was not the only thing Hatchell had prepared. She also took a special interest in making sure her assistants could be head coaches later.

“I will remain very much involved with my team and day-to-day operations here at UNC and expect to return to my sideline responsibilities as soon as possible,” Hatchell said in a statement Monday. “My veteran staff and team will be well-prepared and meet any challenges until my return.”

Calder said that preparation has been something Hatchell has always felt a responsibility to do — and Calder should know.

In 1986, when Hatchell was named head coach of UNC, she immediately named him her assistant coach.

Calder was promoted to associate head coach in 2008, and even though he has 28 years of tutelage from a Hall of Fame coach under his belt, he said he has never had any inkling to pursue a head coaching job elsewhere.

“I have not looked to go anywhere,” he said. “I have a very close relationship with coach Hatchell and I love this University, this athletic department, everyone associated with this University and I’m very comfortable in my position.”

Those 28 years have unavoidably made the two coaches very similar, Calder said. That similarity has reassured him in his team’s perseverance.

“We both have the same philosophy in how the game should be played,” he said. “I think that’s the main thing. We’re going to continue to play the game the way she wants the game to be played … I’ve been with her a long time … and I’ve learned a lot from her, a lot from her, and I’ll just implement that to (the players) in her place.”