Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No plans for library bus stop

Carrboro resident Janaka Kalubowila and his two young sons make the uphill trek to the Chapel Hill Public Library at least once a week.

First Kalubowila and his sons ride the D bus and get off at the intersection of Estes Drive and East Franklin Street. Then they walk to the library, which is half a mile away from the stop.

There is no bus stop at the Chapel Hill Public Library for the general public. During the week, the D, CL and F buses stop at the intersection of Estes Drive and East Franklin Street.The D and FG buses stop at the same place on the weekend.

Kalubowila said he wants a bus stop at the Chapel Hill Public Library so he does not have to walk uphill from the Estes Drive stop.

Brian Litchfield, Chapel Hill Transit director, said there has not been direct service to the library since 2010, and there are no plans in place to put a stop there.

The M shuttle used to provide direct service to the library but was cut because of low ridership. Litchfield said the ridership at the library stop averaged 10 riders each day. He said other routes duplicated 90 percent of the M route.

The library is directly accessible through Chapel Hill Transit’s Senior Shuttle and EZ Rider, also known as the American with Disabilities Act paratransit service, for those who qualify.

While the Senior Shuttle is designed for those who cannot make the walk, Litchfield said the driver would not turn younger people away as long as there is enough room.

“They wouldn’t tell you no, but priority is given to seniors,” Litchfield said.

The Senior Shuttle runs Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The shuttle is funded by a federal transportation grant to help meet the needs of the elderly and disabled.

The Senior Shuttle does not stop anywhere on Franklin Street.

Susan Brown, director of the library, said the library attracts many different age groups and putting a senior shuttle stop helped elderly visitors immensely.

Litchfield said he understands the request to have a direct stop at the public library for non-seniors.

“As a regular library visitor, typically via CHT and with a 3-year-old, I understand that it can be a walk from these stops, especially due to the topography of the area.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide