Quarterback Bryn Renner's UNC career over

A season-ending shoulder injury finishes Renner's UNC career.

UNC quarterback Bryan Renner went down in the third quarter of Saturday’s game at N.C. State with a season-ending shoulder injury.

North Carolina senior quarterback Bryn Renner is out for the season following a shoulder injury suffered in the 27-19 win against N.C. State on Saturday.

Renner will have surgery on his left, non-throwing shoulder on Wednesday, a team spokesman confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

Coach Larry Fedora and Renner will be available after this afternoon’s practice to address the media about the injury and surgery.

Renner, who finishes second in school history with 64 career touchdown passes, went down late in the third quarter after scrambling away from N.C. State defenders. Freshman defensive tackle Monty Nelson brought Renner down after his five-yard run with 1:27 left in the third quarter.

He stayed down for a few minutes, grabbing his left shoulder, and was attended to by UNC athletic training staff before leaving the field. Renner returned in the fourth quarter, but was replaced with Marquise Williams after a brief stint on the field.

Williams, who has been splitting quarterback duties with Renner, will take over as the team’s sole signal caller. Against N.C. State, the dual-threat sophomore completed eight of 15 attempts for 92 yards and one touchdown. He carried the ball 17 times for a team-leading 51 yards.

After news of Renner’s season-ending injury got out, Williams tweeted, “My heart my prayers goes to my leader Bryn love the way you lead us for past 3 years I love you big bro thank you for everything #GunClub”

In his final game in a UNC uniform, Renner completed 15 of 22 attempts for 124 yards and one interception. The redshirt senior rushed for five yards, and scored only his second rushing touchdown of the season and fourth of his career.

Renner finishes his season completing 152 of 231 pass attempts, five interceptions and 10 touchdown passes, and wraps up his UNC career with 8,221 passing yards.