There was a time when the North Carolina women’s basketball team was helpless against Clemson, when the Tar Heels trailed the Tigers nine points, when double-team after double-team forced UNC to settle for unwanted shots.

It was before freshman Diamond DeShields had taken a single shot , before she and fellow freshman Allisha Gray had found their rhythm. Clemson led 11-2 .

But that time was short-lived.

Slowly but surely, DeShields and Gray came alive, knocking down shot after shot, making play after play in UNC’s 78-55 defeat of the Tigers. They had found that rhythm, and it certainly wasn’t going anywhere.

By the time the final buzzer sounded, the two had combined for 40 points — 24 for DeShields, 16 for Gray .

Associate head coach Andrew Calder has credited their athleticism, their dedication all season for the success.

But Thursday night, DeShields credited the duo’s relationship.

“We’re young freshmen, but we’re not young teammates. Allisha and I played together in middle school and AAU,” she said.

“We know each other’s game, where we like to catch the ball. I remember one time I drove in … I just found her, jumped in the air. She knocked down the three.”

It’s a natural chemistry that both light up about when they speak.

It’s not favoritism, DeShields said, but it is an advantage, a special bond that stems from hours together on the court.

Couple that connection with the two of them simultaneously emerging from shooting slumps, and the pair simply couldn’t be hushed.

“We called some plays for (DeShields) from there. She needs her touches,” Calder said.

“She’s an outstanding player, and we made sure she got some.”

Gray said she has been working closely with assistant coach Ivory Latta to perfect her technique, and that recently, it’s made the difference.

“She was telling me (in) Division I basketball, the players close out a lot faster and this is a much faster game,” she said.

“Also working on pull up because usually I run somebody over, but now I have to learn to pull up because I got away with that stuff in high school.”

DeShields said she emerged from her struggles a little more unconventionally — by breaking her hand.

“When I broke my hand, I started shooting better because (the broken hand) is my guide hand,” she said.

“Now, it’s not even touching the ball barely, and it’s pure right hand, pure shooting. It was a blessing and a curse.”

As she exited the press conference, DeShields stole a glance at Gray, as they began their walk back to the locker room.

They both smiled.

“Y’all be blessed,” she told reporters as she walked away.

“Have a good night.”

It was only fitting, for they certainly had.