Upper Quad robbery is fourth since fall

The latest robbery in Olde Campus Upper Quad brought the total value of stolen goods this year to around $1,000.

At around 1:15 p.m. Wednesday, two wallets collectively valued at $146 were stolen from two unsecured rooms on the fourth floor of Grimes Residence Hall.

The burglary followed three similar incidents that have occurred since October in adjacent Ruffin Residence Hall. In those incidents, the total value of the stolen goods was around $850.

In the AlertCarolina message, the suspect was described as a black male, around 25 to 30 years old, between 5 foot 10 inches and 6 feet tall and weighing between 160 and 170 pounds. He was wearing a black, down-fill styled coat, black pants and a plain, black baseball cap.

Randy Young, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said it is not unusual for an area of campus to be targeted more than once over a number of months.

“There’s more pedestrian traffic flow of folks who are not connected to the campus community,” Young said. “It may be one of the closest entry points from public areas.”

“It’s certainly a bit more of a distance from public areas of the town to areas of Morrison, Hardinor Craige.”

Young said the case is still under investigation and that no arrests have been made. The Department of Public Safety has not ruled out the idea that the incidents in Grimes and Ruffin are linked.

Rick Bradley, associate director of the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said the perpetrator might have entered the building by tailgating or following a resident into the building.

After the break in alert, Bradley said a number of parents called with concerns and suggestions. He said that the department always revisits plans to add more cameras, but he said they won’t necessarily reduce crime.

“Cameras don’t necessarily prevent the situation from occurring,” Bradley said. “It might just get a photo of someone after the fact.”

Bradley said a public safety officer will be present in Grimes this week to provide safety information.

“The challenge always is that people who attend programs like that tend to be individuals who are more concerned about their personal safety,” he said. “Victims of crimes don’t think that they will be victims.”

On Monday, the housing department launched a 3-month campaign to encourage students to lock their doors, which includes posters in residence halls and a weekly email that reminds residents to protect their property.

Natalie Cooper, a junior who lived in the nearby Kenan Community last year, said she lives off campus now where she feels safer.

“I do feel safer because I’ve got a burglar alarm and double locks,” she said.

Peter Hunt, a sophomore who lives on the fourth floor, said he was taking a nap when the incident occurred. His door was locked, but he heard someone try to open it.

“I feel plenty safe, but again I’m (6 feet 5 inches) and 225 pounds,” he said.