Board of Governors to ask legislature to repeal out-of-state tuition increase

CARY — The UNC-system Board of Governors will return to the N.C. General Assembly in May to ask the legislators to repeal the hefty out-of-state tuition increase imposed this summer.

The legislature had mandated a tuition increase for out-of-state undergraduates at most of the system schools — 12.3 percent at UNC-CH, an increase that translates to $3,469.

Enacting the tuition increase was an unusual move on the legislature’s part that bypassed the board, which historically has set tuition increases based on campuses’ recommendations.

The board voted to ask the legislature to repeal the increase, but there were some nays. Some board members said they didn’t think the legislature would be convinced by the system’s argument to repeal the tuition increase.

Several system chancellors, including UNC-CH Chancellor Carol Folt, have said that such a sharp increase could negatively impact the campuses’ ability to attract talented out-of-state applicants.

Board member Louis Bissette said he didn’t think the legislature would repeal the increase, but that it was the system’s responsibility to present its needs in full.

The UNC system will take this issue, along with other budget priorities, to the General Assembly in the short session, which starts in May.