Friends join forces in Xavier series for baseball

Trent Thornton sits in the North Carolina baseball team’s dugout Saturday afternoon, his team clinging onto a 2-1 lead against Xavier in the top of the ninth inning.

Xavier leads the weekend series 1-0 and the starting pitcher’s day is done after five hits, a run and six strikeouts in 6.2 innings pitched.

The ball, and now the game, rest in Chris McCue’s hands — Thornton isn’t concerned. That’s his housemate. High school teammate. Perhaps most importantly one of his closest friends on the mound, and he’s seen McCue execute under pressure dozens of times, most recently against Louisiana State in the College World Series in June.

After already watching him strike out one batter , Thornton’s eyes are glued to McCue as he winds up to face Xavier’s leadoff hitter for the second out of the inning.

McCue slings two quick strikes into catcher Adrian Chacon’s glove and launches a breaking ball for the third seconds later en route to UNC’s 2-1 victory .

There’s no one more animated in the dugout than Thornton.

“When Chris struck out the leadoff guy … Trent was sitting right beside me,” coach Mike Fox said.

“He jumped up, and raked his spikes right down my arm. He’s excited because it’s a big out for us, but also I think he really pulls for Chris, too.”

The two met when McCue was a sophomore and Thornton a freshman at Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte. The chemistry, McCue said, was immediate.

“We’re pretty much the same person, so we became really good friends,” McCue said

“My senior year I would start on Tuesday, and he would close, and he would start on Thursday, and I would close. I’m used to closing out games that he starts, and it makes me feel comfortable especially coming in after him.”

Thornton, who has now emerged as a starter after primarily entering the game from the bullpen last season, credited his friend and mentor for helping him earn the new role. They’ve been giving each other advice since high school, and five years later, the routine is still the same.

“Nothing has changed at all,” Thornton said.

“He was the guy that put me under his wing, and ever since then, we’ve had that chemistry that we both have each other’s back every game.”

McCue isn’t surprised at all by pitching coach Scott Forbes’ decision to make Thornton a starter.

“I knew he could do it. Growing up in high school, his delivery, the way he threw and especially how competitive he is, I knew he was gonna thrive here. I knew eventually he was gonna be a starter,” McCue said, smiling.

“It definitely makes me feel good to know that one of my best friends is starting on Saturday on the weekend rotation.”

And is it extra special for McCue to close for him on that same Saturday?

“Yeah, a little bit.”