Man arrested in Northside home invasion

Chapel Hill police have charged a man in connection with a home invasion in the Northside neighborhood early this morning.

Police charged Durham resident Maalik Antonio Burris, 21, with First Degree Burglary, Assault with a Deadly Weapon and Injury to Personal Property.

Police responded to a burglary in progress on Cotton Street in the Northside neighborhood at 12:36 a.m., according to a press release from the Chapel Hill Police Department.

The Northside neighborhood is a historically black, low-income neighborhood that has seen a large influx of student renters during the last decade.

Police said at least one of the residents in the home said he was a UNC student, but police have not confirmed his enrollment.

An initial investigation shows that a suspect entered the residence through an unlocked or open window and became involved in a scuffle with the residents of the home.

During the scuffle, a suspect fired a handgun. The shot struck a wall, according to the release.

When officers arrived at the scene, they saw a suspect running away. He was apprehended after a brief foot pursuit.

The suspect was transported to UNC Hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.