Swimming teams excel in final dual meet

Heading into the North Carolina swimming and diving teams’ final dual meet of the season, coach Rich DeSelm had an extensive checklist of goals for his teams to accomplish.

“Just fine tune, and get rest,” DeSelm said. “Taper off the volume and yardage, get the little skills all perfected and get excited as a team and go in (to the tournament) feeling good and positive.”

His team did just that.

UNC blew College of Charleston out of the water, with the men winning 180-75 and the women 166-121 . A Tar Heel finished first in every single event and a few improved upon their times . Junior Kelly Corish won the diving event with a score of 299.70 for the women , while the men did not compete because Charleston does not have a men’s diving team.

Though last weekend’s meet against N.C. State was senior night, this meet was the final appearance at Koury Natatorium for the seniors on the team. Alex Gianino, J.T. Stilley, Kyle Ficker, Bryce Mendes, Brad Dillon,, Cari Blalock, Meredith Hoover, Stephanie Peacock, Danielle Jansen, Carly Smith, and Katie Rechsteiner all competed in their home pool for the last time.

“It’s crazy, the four years flew by,” Gianino said. “I wish I had another year but blink of an eye, and it’s gone.”

The full focus of the team now shifts to the ACC tournament. While the women won the ACC in 2007, the men won it last in 1998 and are feeling overdue for a championship ring. Because it’s their last chance, Gianino and the other seniors are determined to leave everything in the pool.

“Race strategy is completely different, now it’s like just go for it,” Gianino said.

“There’s no next time, there’s no next year, there’s just go for it. And if I end up dying during the race, that’s how it goes.”