Men’s soccer hungry for a strong start

“We’re greedy when it comes to winning,” Somoano said. “We’re ambitious; we want to win everything.”

With two highly ranked teams from California coming in for a weekend doubleheader to kick off the season, the Tar Heels will find out quickly whether they will taste victory or end up biting off more than they can chew.

UNC plays Friday at 7 p.m. against No. 7 California, then concludes the weekend on Sunday night at the same time against No. 4 UCLA.

Despite a 1-2 record in exhibition games and a 9-6-5 record last season, the Tar Heels feel confident about the upcoming season. Experience and leadership characterize the team, as there are six seniors expected to either start or play major roles.

In 2013, senior forwards Andy Craven and Rob Lovejoy missed the entire season due to injuries. In their absence, a depleted offense managed only 19 goals over 20 games.

This year, Craven and Lovejoy will return to the pitch and team up with senior forward Tyler Engel, who scored six goals to lead a rejuvenated UNC attack last season.

“(We have) more attacking options, more attacking personalities on the field,” Somoano said.

Last season, the defense picked up the slack for the offense, only allowing 13 goals. Led by senior defender Boyd Okwuonu, the defense looks to pick up where it left off.

“We take pride in defending ... it’s going to take us a long way,” Okwuonu said.

Somoano says the defense has been the biggest question mark this preseason, as some uncertainty abounds due to injuries.

No matter who ends up playing, the rest of the team has complete trust in the defense to play well.

“Our defensive intensity is unbelievable this year,” Lovejoy said.

With a renewed offense and a tenacious defense, it’s hard not to blame the Tar Heels for being greedy.

“I think we can go all the way this year,” Lovejoy said. “We have a lot of talent. It’s just a matter of coming together and clicking at the right time.”

Somoano drew a comparison to 2011 when, in his first year with UNC, they won 21 games and a national title. The team, which included Lovejoy, Okwuonu, Brendan Moore and Jordan McCrary, did that by taking the season one game at a time and treating the next game like the most important game of the season.

“If we prepare ourselves that way, what comes will come,” Somoano said. “We’ll maximize our potential, whatever that happens to be.”