Excellence of UNC volleyball team's defense could win tournament

With a 7-1 start to the season, there are many words that could be used to describe the No. 13 North Carolina volleyball team’s identity — deep, experienced or even athletic.

But there is one word that comes up more often than most: defense.

UNC is coming off a three-match sweep in the Carolina Classic, with defensive specialist Ece Taner taking home MVP honors.

Going into the ACC- Big 12 Classic this weekend — Oklahoma Friday and West Virginia Saturday — defense is exactly what UNC will need to win, Taner said.

“Throughout the whole season we’ve been focusing on defense,” Taner said. “We know that Oklahoma runs a really balanced offense, so defense is going to be huge for us, and serve and pass is something we specifically place a lot of emphasis on.”

Coach Joe Sagula said the defensive mindset can be mainly attributed to the team’s strong blocking thus far this season.

“The one thing we’re best at right now is blocking,” Sagula said. “We’re a tough serving team, a great blocking team and a team that can side-out.”

The Tar Heels are currently fourth in the nation in blocks per set at 3.12.

Junior middle blocker Victoria McPherson is ranked 25th in the nation in blocks per set at 1.42. 

“Offensively and defensively, I think we’re even,” McPherson said. “Which is good because if we can get a good serve to the other team out of rotation, then we can get a good block set up and if we can get a good block, that helps our defense.

“We work together the way a team should.”

Sagula said that defeating Oklahoma or West Virginia will be no easy feat, but the Sooners are going to be a true test for the Tar Heels.

“They’re a very aggressive team,” Sagula said. “They get after you and we’re going to have to be able to battle that.

“I think West Virginia is a solid team — very much improved — but Oklahoma is as good as any team on our schedule right now, maybe one of the top-three teams we play this year.”

The Tar Heels go into the matchup riding a five game win streak and are now just three spots away from being ranked in the top 10. 

For Sagula, the key to getting to that next level will depend on the team’s effort at the end of the season and its ability to receive a good seed for the NCAA tournament.

But he added that it all begins with a certain mindset.

"The experience of last year allows us to see the big picture," Sagula said. "We're really trying to invest more in the whole season, not just being good and trying to beat one team."