Goat sculptures to decorate Chapel Hill, Pittsboro to raise money

The Goat Parade, a public art installation in University Mall, has been on show since August 4th. Jayden Woodland, 3, came to see the goats on Monday. Her father explained "we heard about the goat parade and we decided to come check it out!"

The Galloway Ridge at Fearrington retirement center in Pittsboro has organized artists to paint life-size sculptures of goats that will be placed throughout Chapel Hill and later Pittsboro to raise money for the Robert & Pearl Seymour Center and the Chatham County Council on Aging.

“We were inspired by the Cow Parade,” said Pat Richardson, director of community relations at Galloway Ridge.

CowParadeNC placed 15 cows around UNC in 2012 to benefit the N.C. Children’s Hospital.

“Goats resonate with the area thanks to Fearrington Village, which has both cows and goats,” Richardson said.

Fearrington Village is home to a herd of black-and-white Tennessee fainting goats.

On Oct. 5, the painted goats will debut at Festifall, a downtown Franklin Street fair. From there, the goats will be displayed throughout Chapel Hill and will be moved to locations in Pittsboro on Oct. 23.

The parade will culminate with the Goat Parade Gala at Galloway Ridge on Nov. 14, when the goats will be auctioned off.

“It will have a live auction of the goat sculptures, a silent auction with goods worth $100 or more, live music and dancing, heavy hors d’oeuvres and a cocktail,” said Kathie Reeves, publicity subcommittee chair for the Goat Parade.

Richardson said the proceeds will go to the Seymour Center and the Council on Aging to support community programs, such as Meals on Wheels, a nutrition program for senior citizens.

Richardson said the goats have already gotten a great response from the residents at Galloway Ridge.

“They are very excited,” she said. “Every time I go in the hallway, someone asks me, ‘Where are those goats?’”

The Galloway Ridge Woodworkers have gotten involved as well, working with contributions from Lowe’s Home Improvement Center to create the dollies that the goats will be placed and moved on.

“The Woodworkers of Galloway have taken this project, and now it truly belongs to them,” Richardson said. “They left no stone unturned.”

Lauren Roberts created Botanimals, the goat that will be placed at University Florist, and said she spent 40 hours on her creation.

Roberts said she has a personal connection to supporting elderly care.

“My grandma, before she passed, received Meals on Wheels where she lived,” she said. “I know it gave my parents peace of mind and helped make her last years more enjoyable.”

Richardson said the goat sculptures have different themes, such as Vincent van Gogh, elderly parents and the Old Well.

“My theme is overall passion, and one of my passions is gardening,” Roberts said. “The goat is going to be swallowed up by flowers and become like a garden while still being an animal.”