The Daily Tar Heel
Printing news. Raising hell. Since 1893.
Friday, June 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

We keep you informed.

Help us keep going. Donate Today.
The Daily Tar Heel

Police looking into assault at fraternity

Junior Dalton Miller was assaulted at 112 Fraternity Court at 12:43 a.m. Friday, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Two men dragged him out of a party at the fraternity house and punched him in the face, Miller said.

Miller said he suffered a broken nose and four fractures to his right eye socket after being assaulted by the two men.

He said he had been at the party for about half an hour before being approached by an unknown man.

“He asked me who I knew (at the party), and I told him that I didn’t really know anyone there, I just met a few people, and him and this other dude grabbed me and were dragging me to the door and punched me in the face probably about 10 times,” Miller said.

He did not know either of the two men who attacked him.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon President Benjamin Foster said he hadn’t heard about the incident and declined to comment further.

Interfraternity Council President Kenan Lee Drum said the council is aware of the incident but could not offer further comment on the situation due to the fact that it is an ongoing investigation.

The incident occurred in the parking lot area of the fraternity, police reports state. The assailant used hands and feet as weapons, reports state.

Miller said he was at an event for transfer students at Top of the Hill Restaurant & Brewery before going to the fraternity house.

As he was walking back to campus from the restaurant, Miller said he noticed a party going on at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house and decided to walk in.

After he was assaulted, Miller said he began to walk to Franklin Street where he was planning on meeting a friend but was stopped by a man and a woman who saw the injuries to his face. The couple eventually persuaded him to call the police.

Chapel Hill Police Lt. Donnie Rhoads did not have further information about the case.

Miller said he was taken to the hospital where he was treated for his injuries and stayed there until 11 a.m. on Friday, spending around 10 hours in the hospital.

“I missed a midterm because of this, missed turning in a paper because of this,” he said.

Miller said he is hiring a lawyer to determine the next steps he is going to take.

“I’m not going to feel better about this until something happens,” he said.

To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.