Column: Hell yeah, Larry!

Fedora’s change of heart saved UNC — even if he won’t admit it

Daniel Wilco is a senior writer. He is a senior journalism major from Atlanta, Ga.

In the pressroom after UNC’s 48-43 win against Georgia Tech Saturday night, after Marquise Williams set a UNC record for total yards in consecutive games, I asked Larry Fedora a question.

“What is your opinion on the quarterback situation now?”

He stared me down and gave a “Smart, Fast and Physical” answer.

“It hasn’t changed,” he said.

Come on, Larry. You know me better than that.

Marquise Williams thrives on momentum, and whenever he kills it with a boneheaded play, he manages to manufacture it from scratch.

On the five drives after Williams has thrown an interception this season, he’s had 249 yards and four touchdowns.

“It hasn’t changed.”

On the second drive against Georgia Tech, Williams threw his sixth pick of the season.

He had messed up. UNC was losing and needed a spark, needed something different.

And on the next drive, you put him back out there.

One play later, Williams was injured in an attempt to define the word “head-butt” as his helmet collided with Landon Turner’s posterior.

The universe was teasing you, Larry. It was begging you to revert to your wicked ways, but with Red Bull in hand and visor on head, you scoffed at the universe and threw Williams under center as soon as he was cleared.

You’ve changed, Larry. And I love it.

Williams then manufactured three touchdowns in a row and scored on seven of his last nine drives. You wanted momentum? You wanted rhythm? Ask and ye shall receive.

Having the starting five offensive linemen back the past two weeks absolutely helped Williams accomplish record-setting performances in back-to-back weeks, giving him enough time in the pocket to decide how exactly he was going to avoid answering any questions on his coach’s strategy.

But you know what else helps? Confidence. Going into the final drive, down one with three minutes left, Williams harbored no doubts.

Maybe it helped that for the second straight week, you showed unwavering and unconditional trust in him.

Sure, maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid too soon, but from where I sit, up on my high horse in the press box, you’re a new man, Larry.

And with the trust you’ve put in Williams, this is a new UNC team — one with hope.