Men's soccer wins 6th game in a row

UNC (11-4-0, 5-2-0 ACC) added another two goals to that streak Friday night in Chestnut Hill, Mass., where the team defeated the Eagles (5-6-3, 1-5-1 ACC) by a score of 2-0. The victory extends the Tar Heels’ winning streak to six games in a row and their scoring run to 18-0.

As they have been so many times already this season, the Tar Heels’ substitutes were a decisive factor in the contest. Less than a minute after coming off the bench in the 31st minute, senior midfielder Verneri Valimaa provided the spark his team needed, putting away a tidy finish off of Walker Hume’s shot.

“It feels great to know that you came on and made an impact,” Valimaa said. “Soccer is a game that brings out all of your emotions and I just feel proud to help this team come away with three points.”

Intent on defending their home field, Boston College did not back down after UNC’s initial strike. But by halftime, senior goalkeeper Brendan Moore had made two saves for his team, continuing his string of rock-solid performances and crushing the Eagles’ comeback hopes.

The game’s second half saw UNC outshoot its opponent seven to one and control a majority of the possession, while only retaining a one-goal lead until very late in the contest. Finally, Valimaa struck again, sealing the game in the 90th minute with a shot from 10 yards out, created by an Andy Craven pass.

“Having the quality of bench players we do makes it hard for defenses,” assistant coach Grant Porter said. “As one player leaves, they have to focus on another threat with the ball.”

As a result of his latest shutout, Moore has extended his shutout steak to 516:41 since Clemson scored on him nearly a month ago. Though excited about the victory, the keeper deflected credit to his defense and the team’s senior leaders.

“A major part of the stretch has been the three in the back,” Moore added. “OC (Boyd Okwuonu), Jonathan (Campbell), Walker (Hume) and Nick (Williams) have all been excellent.”

The team’s confidence has grown exponentially throughout its run of form, coinciding especially with the tactical decision to switch to a 3-4-3 formation with three defenders, four midfielders and three attackers.

Often, a team that hits its peak later in the season is one that is most dangerous in the postseason, and the Tar Heels look to be a fearsome side for the rest of their opponents.

With one game left in conference play, UNC still has a chance to claim the ACC regular season championship with a victory over Virginia Saturday and a loss or tie from Notre Dame in one of its next two games.

And with the substitutes firing on all cylinders, and the defenders gelling perfectly to keep Moore’s streak alive, the Tar Heels have a real chance of taking the ACC title.