UNC women's tennis battled heat, illness in California

The heat was in the mid-90’s, and many of the players were battling illness as the North Carolina women's tennis team took to Westwood, Calif. this weekend for the ITA/Riviera All-American Championships.

UNC sophomore Jamie Loeb, the top seed in the tournament and the defending champion, lost in the first round of the main draw to California’s Maegan Manasse 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. It was Loeb's first match with the team this fall.

Coach Brian Kalbas said Loeb battled headaches for the entirety of the match, but she could not overcome them. 

“Play your game,” said Kalbas of the advice he gave Loeb. 

Loeb turned to her dog, who recently passed away, for inspiration as she competed in the consolation ladder. 

“I wanted to play for her,” Loeb said. 

And Loeb did, as she fought her way through, making it all the way to the consolation finals where she defeated Virginia’s Julia Elbaba — who she conquered last month to seal the American Collegiate Invitational title — 4-6, 6-1 and 7-6. 

While Loeb was unable to meet the expectations of her No. 1 national ranking, she said she was pleased with the way she was able to fight back.

“I was a little disappointed, but I finished strong,” Loeb said. 

All summer, Loeb worked on her mental aspect of her game, having confidence in overcoming obstacles and trusting in herself. 

Kalbas said Loeb's comeback expressed her character and why she is such a level-headed player.

UNC sophomore Haley Carter, the No. 3 seed in the tournament, showed her talent after making it all the way to the semifinals before being defeated 6-3, 7-6 by the No. 2 seed, UCLA’s Robin Anderson. 

Kalbas said he was impressed with the team's ability to play through the scorching heat and through illness. 

Kalbas said the combination of the heat, sickness and cramps definitely presented a challenge for the Tar Heels, but they fought through it. 

And that much showed this weekend.