UNC football couldn't match Miami's Duke Johnson

“He called me over and said I wasn’t going to do anything, “ Collins said. “That I was just a little freshman.”

This pregame jawing took place before the North Carolina football team’s 47-20 loss to Miami Saturday, between Johnson, Miami’s speedy junior running back and a top ACC rusher, and Collins, UNC’s true freshman linebacker.

The tunnel of Sun Life Stadium serves as the perfect battleground for trash talk. Both teams enter the field through this passage at the same time, though most stadiums have teams take different routes to the field to avoid confrontation.

It was near the tunnel after the game where Collins did his best to downplay the seemingly heated exchange.

“It was a lot of things that was said that I wouldn’t repeat,” he said. “The coaches separated us, but it was nothing too serious.”

We’ll never know the words Collins used as a rebuttal to Johnson’s comments. But there’s an apparent sense that Collins knew his play on the field had to do the talking. And, it did.

Collins scooped up a fumble from Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya in the second quarter, taking the ball 39 yards to the end zone for UNC’s first touchdown of the game.

But Johnson’s actions spoke louder than his words, early and often. By the time Collins marched to the end zone for his first career touchdown, Johnson already had a rushing touchdown of his own. By the end of the afternoon, the Miami running back would have 226 total yards of offense, one receiving touchdown and two rushing touchdowns, including a 90-yarder just before halftime — the longest run UNC has allowed in program history.

Collins had one solo tackle on the Miami running back Saturday, but one single defensive player couldn’t silence Johnson — couldn’t make him eat his pregame words. The linebacker would need the help of his team’s offense to keep up with Johnson and Miami’s relentless attack.

But on Saturday, the Tar Heel offense played as quietly as it has all season.

UNC’s 258 total yards of offense against Miami is the lowest total for a team coached by Larry Fedora since he first became a head coach at Southern Mississippi in 2008.

“It was very disappointing,” the UNC coach said. “I don’t think we played well up front. Quarterback, running backs, wide receivers ... It was way too inconsistent to be effective as an offense. Very poor.”

True to his character, redshirt junior UNC quarterback Marquise Williams held himself accountable for UNC’s struggle though Williams ran for both of UNC’s offensive touchdowns Saturday, both in the late second half. The quarterback completed 22-of-32 passes for 191 yards, zero touchdowns and one interception despite entering the game as the ACC leader in both passing yards and touchdowns.

“We didn’t do so well as an offense today,” he said. “And I take that blame.”

The Tar Heels gained 99 yards on the ground, but six sacks cost them 35 yards while they lost 55 yards on two errant snaps during punt attempts. UNC finished Saturday with a total of six rushing yards.

Johnson had seven rushes for six yards or more.

Back in the stadium tunnel, Collins couldn’t help but praise the Miami running back, though he questioned the freshman’s skill. But thoughts of the trash talk made Collins realize the loss hurt that much more.

“I knew he was fast. I didn’t know he was that fast. I definitely have respect for his game,” Collins said. “We were doing a lot of jawing before the game, but to actually lose, that’s something that’s tough for me.”

Collins never backed down to Johnson Saturday. UNC just never stepped up.