UNC women’s basketball hopes to overcome losses

Sophmore guard Allisha Gray dribbles the ball down the court during the first exhibition game of the season against Carson-Newman on Wednesday night.

After building a six-point halftime lead in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament, the Tar Heels fell to the Stanford Cardinals in a heartbreaking defeat — losing by nine points.

And nearly three weeks after the loss, UNC was dealt another devastating blow when ACC Rookie of the Year and espnW National Freshman of the Year Diamond DeShields announced she would transfer.

But despite both losses, it’s what UNC gains in the return of Hall of Fame coach Sylvia Hatchell, who missed all of the 2013-14 season after being diagnosed with leukemia, that they hope will allow them to build upon their success.

“Last year, we had to worry about her health and how she was doing, like day-to-day just checking up on her,” said senior guard Danielle Butts at ACC women’s basketball media day. “Just to have her back and to practice and just getting back in the flow is definitely a blessing.

“We missed her a lot, and the fact we don’t have to worry about her as much because she’s right there with us every day in practice and when we’re in weights, in film and stuff like that, just makes our motivation more.”

Excluding DeShields, preseason No. 13 UNC is returning its entire starting lineup.

After posting a 27-10 record in the 2013-14 season, UNC’s finish in the NCAA Tournament was the furthest the team advanced in postseason play since the 2007-08 campaign. Hatchell said that while she’s been anxious about her return, she has one fear in the back of her mind.

“I just don’t want to mess them up,” Hatchell said. “I just want to add to what they did last year. They went to the Elite Eight and missed the Final Four by only three buckets, and I just don’t want to mess them up. I just want to add to it and help them get to the next level.”

In order for the Tar Heels to reach that point, the team must supplant DeShields’ production on the offensive end of the floor — which accounted for 18.0 points per game.

But with an ACC-best three players named to the Blue Ribbon Panel Preseason All-ACC Team in sophomores Allisha Gray and Stephanie Mavunga and junior Xylina McDaniel, as well as a roster with seven upperclassmen, the team makes up a dominant offensive threat with four key traits, Hatchell said.

“We have leadership, we’ve got experience, we’ve got depth and great chemistry,” she said. “And I feel like we’ve got a great game plan as far as how to implement on that.”

Senior guard Latifah Coleman said the team’s chemistry could carry it to success.

“The one thing we need to maintain and abide by is the idea of togetherness,” she said. “Coach always says, ‘We’re five individuals working together as one.’ And I believe teamwork and togetherness will be the key to our success this year.”

With all of the key ingredients of a championship-caliber team, Hatchell said she hopes to provide her team with the ultimate gain.

“I want to bring out the best in them both on the court and off the court, and I want to put some rings on their fingers,” she said. “I want to bring some championships to these young ladies and something they can have for the rest of their life.”