Hundreds gather in Chapel Hill to continue Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy

“Right is not always popular, nor is right always comfortable. Right is never convenient, and right always comes at a cost,” said the Rev. Rodney Coleman, the keynote speaker at the worship service that followed the march at First Baptist Church on North Roberson Street.

The rally’s keynote speaker was freshman Madrid Danner-Smith, who spoke about the covert nature of modern racism.

“I liked (Danner-Smith’s) point about the invisible and internal prejudices we all have,” said freshman Fhoenix Frager.

Senior Adreonna Simmons echoed Danner-Smith’s argument and said her identity as a black female motivates her to show up for social justice.

“We think of racism as something overt — in history books you read about people being attacked by dogs and sprayed by water. That’s not something we see today,” she said. “But microaggressions happen to us every day.”

Coleman urged activists to join together with those truly invested in the movement for racial justice and equality — those who wouldn’t quit when the going got rough.

“We already know where those outside the movement stand, but the question is, ‘Who am I standing beside in the movement?’” he said. “We can talk the same talk, but we need to make sure we’re walking the same walk.”

Coleman also said racial justice activists should avoid becoming complacent when people in power try to placate them without achieving true equality.

“Those of us who work on farms know we feed animals just to fatten them up for the slaughter,” he said.

The Rebecca Clark Community Service Award was presented at the service to voting rights activists Marion and Mary Phillips. The Revs. Jill and Richard Edens of the United Church of Chapel Hill received the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Award.

Mary Phillips said her current motivation to fight for voting rights comes from North Carolina’s voter ID laws.

“Having lived through a time when African-Americans didn’t have the right to vote and to have lived through the time of the Voting Rights Act, now I’m seeing that being eroded with these regressive laws,” she said.

Several politicians and Chapel Hill-Carrboro officials attended the march and rally.

“Keep it in your heart that we do this for all of us — until all of us are free, none of us are free,” said N.C. Sen. Valerie Foushee, D-Orange.

Sibby Thompkins, a member of the graduate chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., said events like the march and rally are a chance for activists to become rededicated to their cause.

“We’ve lost a lot of ground, and there is still much work to do,” she said.

The Rev. Michelle Laws, a speaker at the worship service, recalled recent tragedies in the U.S. involving the use of force by police against black people.

“We hear the cry of too many mothers crying because their children are dying,” she said.

“The higher you build your barriers, the taller we will become.”