Councilman Lee Storrow seeks feedback with town halls

“While the town council lets citizens talk at every meeting, I think speaking at a podium in front of the council for three minutes isn’t the best way to have a profound dialogue,” Storrow said. “For the last couple of years, I have had lots of different informal events to provide feedback — open office hours at coffee shops, focus groups.”

The first event will be today at DSI Comedy Theater at 5:30 p.m. with Meg McGurk, executive director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership. She will be answering frequently asked questions about downtown Chapel Hill.

“This is a great opportunity to get citizens, business owners and community leaders to have a conversation about what different interests and thoughts they have,” Storrow said.

The second meeting will take place Saturday at Rogers Road Community Center at 1 p.m. to discuss social and environmental justice.

The third session will be at the Siena Hotel on March 5 and will discuss economic development. The last event will be at the Chapel Hill Library March 12 with speakers from the Orange County Board of Commissioners and UNC discussing intergovernmental relations.

“This is a great vehicle to get platforms out and to the forefront,” said David Caldwell, director of the Rogers Eubanks Neighborhood Association. “It is a great addition to communication for the community.”

Caldwell said these events give Chapel Hill residents a chance to put a face to the sometimes unapproachable politicians and to see their mannerisms and attitudes.

“I am happy to see politicians coming out from behind the desk and meeting citizens firsthand,” Caldwell said.

While each town hall has a designated topic, Earl McKee, chairman of the Orange County Board of Commissioners, said the conversation will not be limited by that.

“I am open to discuss anything,” McKee said. “I don’t think it should be limited. The topic is just a leadoff. The conversation will go wherever the people want it to.”

Storrow and McKee hope to learn more about the areas of interest for residents.

“One thing that is important to me is that it allows me to have feedback from the folks paying the bills,” McKee said.

So far, 26 people have registered to attend the first town hall event on Wednesday, and 36 people in total have reserved their places for the other three parts of the series.

“I think it is an excellent way to get information out to people and a great opportunity to meet elected officials one on one,” McKee said. “It is helpful to create conversations and be informative because it will allow people to ask the questions on their mind.”