Top-ranked women's tennis team remains undefeated

The Tar Heels beat Syracuse and Wake Forest over the weekend

The No. 1 North Carolina women's tennis team has yet to lose a match this season. But this weekend delivered two conference opponents who wanted nothing more than to knock off the Tar Heels. 

“Where we are with our team right now, we are getting everyone’s best effort," Coach Brian Kalbas said. 

Syracuse came to Chapel Hill on Friday afternoon. UNC won the doubles point but Syracuse came out fighting for singles.

“They are a very energetic team, especially the top three players," Kalbas said. 

All three Syracuse players on the top three courts were yelling and grunting, showing their desire to win.

“(Senior) Caroline (Price) was waiting for her (opponent) to make a mistake. Caroline would hit a good shot but the ball would come back better and Caroline wasn’t ready, so consequently Caroline was forcing it and making a few unforced errors," said Kalbas of his lone senior. "But to her credit she got it together and stopped making those mistakes.”

Price’s match against Breanna Bachini stood out above the rest. Points were long and drawn out and both players talked to the referee on multiple occasions.

“I’ve been struggling with my serve lately, and (Coach) told me to do a second serve for my first serve," Price said. 

Ultimately with all the adjustments Price would pull out the victory 6-4, 6-3 against Bachini.

Her teammates on the other end had no issues. 

“(Courts) four, five, and six every time I looked up at that scoreboard I saw that they were cruising and it was just silent down there," she said. 

Junior Ashley Dai seemed to be the only player who avoided the second rush from Syracuse. In doubles and singles she was the first one done.

“It’s weird that I finished first in both because normally I don’t finish doubles and I’m the last on singles," she said. "But I think I was just zoned in today and focused on getting the job done and helping out my team.” 

After their 7-0 victory, the Tar Heels headed to Wake Forest to play their second match of the weekend on Sunday.

“Wake Forest is an improved and good team,” Kalbas said. 

The Tar Heels won the doubles point again, however the singles point was a rougher road. Price and Maria Akkerman would go to three sets in both their singles matches.

“We have changed up our routine a little bit and we are doing some training Tuesdays," Kalbas said. 

The most noticeable difference in the Tar Heels' performance in both matches was their physical endurance.

“We have done a variety of things, we have done Pure Barre, TRX, Yoga and a bike work out," Kalbas said. 

The Training Tuesdays paid off against Wake Forest as UNC won again with a score of 7-0.

“This week we are going to a TRX place," sophomore Jamie Loeb said. 

And if the previous results are any indication, it'll continue to pay off.