Board of Governors member was arrested on a domestic violence charge

UPDATE (7/8/15): Doyle Parrish, a Board of Governors member, has resigned from the committee searching for the next UNC-system president. 

His resignation is mentioned in a short sentence on the search committee's tab on the Board of Governors' website. 

The Charlotte Observer reported Parrish was not present at a committee meeting in Charlotte Wednesday.

John Fennebresque, board chairman, said he gave a statement to The Charlotte Observer confirming Parrish's resignation from the committee. Parrish is also taking a leave of absence from the Board of Governors as a whole until his court case is resolved, according to The Charlotte Observer. 

The resignation comes after Parrish's May 12 arrest and charge of misdemeanor assault on a female.

Board of Governors member R. Doyle Parrish awaits a court date in August on a domestic violence charge from last month.

Parrish was arrested on May 12 after a call was made from his Raleigh home by Nancy Parrish, according to a police report.

He was charged with a misdemeanor assault on a female and has a court date in Wake County District Court on August 26, according to a court document.

Parrish could not be reached for comment.

Parrish has contributed thousands to state politicians, including $10,500 to Gov. Pat McCrory since 2012, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics. He has also donated funds to U.S. Sen. Thom Thillis and N.C. Senate President Phil Berger.

Parrish is a UNC-CH graduate and was appointed to the Board of Governors by the N.C. House of members in 2013. 

He is the CEO of Summit Hospitality Group, which operates hotels and restaurants across North Carolina. 

Parrish is on the working group for centers and institutes that voted to close several centers and institutes in February, including UNC's Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity.

He is also on the search committee for the next UNC-system president, which has held hearings across the state for community input on what qualities are wanted in Tom Ross' successor.