Column: CDS workers deserve kindness

Evana Bodiker

Columnist Evana Bodiker

Lenoir — rushed, crowded and stressful when crunched for time between classes.

Common courtesy tends to be left in the Pit when the lunchtime crowd comes in around noon.

Not to say this is a terrible crime; between people pushing in the mac and cheese line and the immediate bad blood that forms when that table gets snagged, even though your hand was on one of the chairs, it’s easy to get annoyed — and fast — in Lenoir.

The weekdays are stressful enough, so when we arrive at the dining halls, our first thoughts aren’t usually on our manners. Despite the limited time, and seating, it’s important to keep your cool even when that last M&M cookie gets snatched from the case.

We tend to forget that our occasionally sassy attitudes don’t just affect our fellow students. The Carolina Dining Services workers are the unsung heroes of UNC, but they tend to get the brunt of our bad attitudes.

Despite the hustle and bustle of the everyday, these are the people who our typical teenage (and post-teenage) angst should never be directed at. Sound like I’m getting on a soapbox? Well, try to hear me out.

During my first year at UNC, I was so surprised at the lack of gratitude some, but definitely not all, students showed towards the cafeteria workers. I noticed the quick demand of certain food items without thank-yous to follow.

Perhaps my parents just drilled the art of appreciation in me from a young age, but I can’t be the only one noticing the disparity of thankfulness from others. This might be a soapbox, but it’s an important one.

CDS workers are some of the kindest employees I’ve encountered on campus. Not only do they work long and hard hours, but they are also responsible for a large portion of students’ dietary well-being. And for that, a small thank-you goes a long way.

Every now and then, we all get caught up in where we have to go next, but a simple, “Hi, how are you?” won’t hold up the line too much. As cheesy as it sounds, a smile takes even less of your time.

The cafeteria workers are invaluable members of the UNC community. It’s a new year, so we need to remember their instrumental place on our campus. If it weren’t for the employees’ dedicated work, producing lunch or dinner without venturing to Franklin Street would be a challenge for most of us.

It’s normal to get a little stressed in Lenoir or Rams Head Dining Hall. Comparatively, the two aren’t much unlike Grand Central Station, so anxiety upon entering is not exactly unreasonable.

The CDS workers strive to make our lives a lot easier, so treating them with kindness can add even more ease of mind to our hectic lives.

Just try not to let your stress affect those who are behind the counter and who are possibly even more stressed out by the rush than you are. And if you take a little time to be thankful for those who labor so much to make your plate of food delicious, I promise your food will taste even better.