In June, Pope Francis released an encyclical that both accepted climate change as a scientific reality and addressed the need to fight its effects.

As both a Christian and an environmentalist, I gained an important ally in the effort toward widespread environmental stewardship.

But there are others who still take a firm stance against the existence of climate change.

Why haven’t more members of religious communities publicly shifted thinking on this issue, especially in the American South, where religion is such a visible aspect of the culture?

The common assumption is if the changes in our environment are not recognized as human-caused, there is no need to change human behavior.

This couldn’t be further from the truth. Ecosystems should always be kept pristine, especially for those that think it is created in holiness and with purpose. Purification by water, gods of lightning and rain and enlightened treks through mountains have kept spirituality tied with nature for centuries.

In the encyclical, Pope Francis argued people’s relationships with their neighbors and the Earth are essential.

“Human life is grounded in three fundamental and closely intertwined relationships: with God, with our neighbor and with the Earth itself,” Pope Francis said.

Yet there seems to be an ever-growing contradiction in groups that claim to have a relationship with God but deny the relationship they also have with the Earth.

Along with the relationship humankind is supposed to have with nature, the relationship we have with our neighbor is also neglected. A number of religions emphasize humbleness, giving to the poor, healing the wounded and the Golden Rule.

These values lose meaning when environmental stewardship is not a priority. Catastrophes caused by climate change do not affect people equally; the poor and disadvantaged are the hardest hit. They are without shelter during hurricanes, flood insurance when the Outer Banks’ ocean waters rise or access to decent drinking water during severe drought, like the one that dominated Charlotte’s summer.

Our actions that cause these disasters deny our neighbor the right to a fair and just life.

Some also argue God or Mother Nature will fix the environment. But religions have also told us the poor will be saved and exalted, yet we still give to charity. So why would environmental issues be treated any differently?

If we are consistently investing money in repairing the catastrophes climate change has caused, we must at least be consistent in investing money in prevention efforts.

Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Atheists — all of us must take behavior-changing steps to positively affect the environment. Denying climate change is no excuse for apathy. If you won’t listen to the science of why you should participate and even lead in the fight towards a better environment, at least listen to the moral argument.