Q&A with former UNC football player Jonathan Cooper

UNC lost to Miami 30-24 on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011.

Selected by the Arizona Cardinals in the seventh overall pick of the 2013 NFL Draft, former North Carolina offensive guard Jonathan Cooper became the first UNC offensive lineman drafted in the first round since 1987.

As a senior in 2012, he earned consensus All-America honors, resulting in his No. 64 jersey being honored in Kenan Stadium.

Since joining the Cardinals, Cooper’s career has been defined by injuries. He broke his leg as a rookie and was sidelined for the entire season. In 2014, he appeared in 10 games while dealing with other injuries.

Now, entering his third season in the NFL, Cooper is healthy. Before the start of the regular season, Assistant Sports Editor Jeremy Vernon spoke with Cooper about his professional career up to this point, his time at UNC and the Tar Heels’ upcoming season.

The Daily Tar Heel: Where is your development at now from your rookie season and from one year ago?

Jonathan Cooper: I think I’ve come a long way. I mean, it was unfortunate that I’ve sort of had an injury-riddled couple of years, but I mean I’m ready to play now and I really just have to make the most of my opportunity. They’re giving me a shot and I have to take advantage of it. I’m more mature mentally, and, physically, I’m feeling pretty good. So, I need a big year out of this one.

DTH: Looking back on your time at UNC, what is one moment that sticks out in your mind from your college career?

JC: I’d have to say beating N.C. State (in 2012) at home. That was, I mean that game, I think it will go forever down in history as one of the greatest games at UNC. Just being a part of that was definitely special. My senior year, the class of ‘08, we all stuck together through a lot of hardships and, to pull that one out, that was great.

DTH: What advice did you receive from your coaches at UNC that you have carried with you as you have progressed into the NFL?

JC: I think the biggest thing I learned is, ‘Don’t be comfortable,’ and to continue to challenge myself. In high school, initially, you can get away with just natural athleticism. But they’ve taught me to be critical of myself and continue to work and continue to try to improve, and that’s what I’m trying to do.

DTH: With the Tar Heels preparing for their season opener against South Carolina on Sept. 3, how do you see UNC performing this season?

JC: Well I’m an optimist, so hopefully they do great. National champions — that’d be phenomenal. They’ve definitely got a bunch of great players, and, if they put it all together, really just show up as a team day in and day out and be consistent, I know they can do very well this season.

DTH: How grateful are you for the friendships you were able to create when you were here in Chapel Hill?

JC: Oh man, they’re huge, even just my offensive linemen — Russell Bodine, Brennan Williams, Travis Bond, James Hurst, I mean he and I were super tight as well as Brennan Williams and Landon Turner. I think that the biggest thing I’ve taken from that is that you don’t have that on the next level. You don’t have that sense of brotherhood and friendship and camaraderie, you don’t really have that on the next level. You might have it with a couple guys, but it’s not as easily found as it is in college. You don’t realize how important it is until it’s gone.

@jbo_vernon