UNC men's soccer freshman keeper earns the start

Jordan McCrary (9) fights for possession against a Santa Clara defender Sunday evening. 

They shared birthdays. They shared the same room until they were 12 years old. They shared bunk beds, alternating each night who got to sleep in the top bunk.

“It’s like growing up with your best friend,” Pyle said. “Having a sleepover 24/7.”

When the two began playing youth soccer, they naturally shared the same position.

Both Pyle and his brother William are goalies. And for most of their lives, they’ve played on the same team. Just like when they alternated in the top bunk, they switched games in the goal. In high school, James Pyle played every road game, while William Pyle played the games at home. In club soccer, they alternated nights starting in goal.

College coaches aren’t as accommodating, though. As the time came for college, James Pyle knew he’d have to find a school of his own.

When James Pyle was in fifth grade, his teacher — whose son played on the UNC team that won the national championship in 2001 — put up a team poster right next to his desk.

Since then, UNC has always been the team James Pyle envisioned himself playing for. So he chose UNC, while his brother chose UNC-Greensboro and later transferred to South Carolina for his sophomore season.

After redshirting his freshman season, James Pyle earned the starting nod this season from Coach Carlos Somoano after an exhibition season where he allowed only one goal.

James Pyle proceeded to start both of UNC’s opening matches this weekend — posting two shutouts and collecting eight saves in wins over Florida International and Santa Clara.

Although off the field he’s quiet and soft-spoken, James Pyle takes command when he stands in the goal.

Because the goalie can see the whole field, it’s up to him to direct the shape of the defense and to keep his goal safe.

“It’s obviously a big role. You don’t touch the ball as much as other players, so you have to say focused,” James Pyle said. “You just have to be the director back there, kind of like a quarterback.”

Senior defender Jonathan Campbell, the leader of the Tar Heels’s defense, likes what he’s seen from the young goalie.

“He’s become more vocal, which we need from the beginning,” Campbell said.

“He’s more comfortable coming out. He just seems more calm and comfortable in his throws.”

Somoano wouldn’t commit to James Pyle for the rest of the season, but said he was happy with his performance this weekend.

“He made it simple,” Somoano said. “He managed the situations he was supposed to manage, and he made it look easy.”

James Pyle, though, can’t help but grin when asked if he expects to be the lone starter for the Tar Heels this season.

“Yeah, as of now.”

@loganulrich