UNC men’s soccer wins preseason finale

And while the upcoming season might be filled with highs and lows, the results of Saturday’s scrimmage remained consistent with the team’s preseason performance.

The No. 5 Tar Heels ended the preseason on a high note, taking down No. 21 Coastal Carolina 2-0. With the win, UNC finished the preseason with a 3-0 record.

The Tar Heels’ attack created several opportunities in the first half but was unable to put the ball past the Chanticleers’ goalkeeper, and both teams entered halftime scoreless.

UNC opened the second half with a few lineup changes, including moving junior Omar Holness up to an attacking midfielder position. The Jamaican midfielder helped create more promising opportunities and secure more balls in the attacking third.

Holness led UNC to its first goal in the 74th minute by drawing a penalty. Senior midfielder Raby George took the penalty kick for the Tar Heels and put the ball in the back of the net to give UNC a 1-0 lead.

UNC cemented its lead 13 minutes later when sophomore forward Zach Wright scored en route to handing the Tar Heels a 2-0 win.

Quotable

“Our attack is very dangerous but incomplete in the final third ... We definitely created a lot of chances. But we still have to do better defensively and not get countered.” — UNC coach Carlos Somoano.

Notable

Wright continues to find himself in the middle of the Tar Heels’ offense. With his goal on Saturday, he finished UNC’s preseason with two goals and one assist .

And George’s penalty kick on Saturday marked his second consecutive preseason game with a goal from the penalty spot.

Three numbers that matter:

5: Somoano enters his fifth season at the helm for UNC in 2015.

26: The total number of shots taken by both high-powered offenses on Saturday.

0: UNC’s defense didn’t allow a goal in this match after looking shaky at times during the preseason.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels’ 2015 regular season begins on Friday at 7 p.m., when they take on Florida International University at Fetzer Field.

@Evan_Chronis