Bug Howard ticked off by UNC football attendance

After seeing a picture of a virtually empty Kenan Memorial Stadium from Saturday’s 48-14 win against Illinois, Howard provided a solution of his own to the lack of attendance at UNC’s past two home games.

Howard’s comment, whether meant as a joke or not, drew a reaction from the sports world.

ESPN reporter Jared Shanker and former Tar Heel Eric Ebron, along with about 400 others, retweeted Howard’s statement.

With other sports figures reacting to Howard’s comment, the presence of social media in college football is undeniable — for better or for worse.

“That’s a part of their world,” said co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Gunter Brewer. “The social media world is ever-changing.”

Social media has become such an integral part of the game that coaches have taken to Twitter for recruiting purposes.

While running back Elijah Hood was being recruited in high school, the sophomore used direct messaging on Twitter to stay in contact with Brewer when a phone call wouldn’t suffice.

“That’s definitely a method of communication,” Hood said. “The coaches are definitely using social media to talk to recruits. It’s the day and age we live in.”

With college players and coaches developing such a powerful social media presence, comments like Howard’s could negatively affect recruiting.

While Howard said his tweet was meant lightheartedly, the seats left empty in UNC’s past two home games have not gone unnoticed.

For recruits looking at UNC, the uncertainty of enjoying a supportive fan base could drive potential players away.

Kenan Memorial Stadium has seen an average of 42,500 fans in attendance this season, meaning more than 20,000 seats haven been left unfilled. The team averaged 54,667 fans per home game in 2014.

For current players, a packed stadium could give the Tar Heels the extra charge they need to take their game to another level.

“That’s something any kid loves to go in front of is a packed house,” Brewer said, “Whether it’s a high school game, a pewee game or a pro game.”

In UNC’s first two home games, the Tar Heels haven’t missed a step despite an absent fan base.

The Tar Heels averaged more than 50 points per game, racking up 934 yards in total offense at home this season.

Despite the social media uproar and the lack of fans in the stands on game day, the Tar Heels are still focused on one thing: playing football.

“I love football. I’m going to play football,” Hood said. “And I don’t really care who comes and watches.“

@_Brohammed