Carrboro approves final version of mural for the kids

Carrboro could be adding a splash color to its already bright town.

The Carrboro Board of Alderman approved the final rendition of the Carrboro Mural at the intersection of Jones Ferry Road and Highway 54 on Tuesday at their regular meeting. 

Michael Adamson, who proposed the design, said it has been a work in progress for two years. 

Adamson explained the inspiration for the design.

"This final version is based on the self-portraits of about 160 third graders from elementary schools in the Carrboro area," he sad.

Adamson said the image was approved by the Carrboro Arts Committee in May. The committee approved to support the mural in November 2013, according to the mural's Facebook page. The North Carolina Department of Transportation has approved the preliminary version, but must still approve the final design.

"They said 'yes, the logo is OK,' and they're OK with the general style," Adamson said. "So we just have one final submission to get a final approval from the N.C. DOT."

Alderman Damon Seils stressed that the children on the mural do not fully depict any particular child.

Adamson said Michael Brown, the muralist who designed the image, took elements from the 160 images and blended them together to produce the mural of six children.

"No one can say for sure, 'yes, that's me'," Adamson said. "And that's the way we really thought it should be."

Brown has completed several murals around the Chapel Hill and Carrboro area, including "Sea Turtles" on the corner of Rosemary and North Columbia streets in the PNC Bank parking lot and "Parade of Humanity" down Porthole Alley.

Seils also pointed out that this mural will be covering just one segment of the wall.

"I know Michael is excited about working on the other segments as well," Seils said. "Those will allow some opportunities for different approaches to the art."

Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said she especially likes that the mural allows for any child to identify with the image.

"Every kid that's looking at this can somehow see themselves," Gist said. "That's something I really appreciate."

Notable:

The Board of Alderman introduced Carrboro's new fire chief, Susanna Williams

Quotable: 

"Welcome back gang," said Alderman Randee Haven-O'Donnell. 

@Liz_Harvell