Men's soccer midfielder Alex Olofson scores second career goal in 2-1 win over Duke

UNC Mens Soccer Game v. Duke with a 2-1 Victory: Forward Zach Wright (10) and Midfielder Alex Olofson (28) celebrates Olofson's goal which came within the first five minutes of play to put UNC up 1-0

But three years later, in Saturday’s match against Duke, his drought finally ended.

The senior midfielder from Raleigh helped lead the No. 2 North Carolina men’s soccer team to a 2-1 victory against the Blue Devils (4-3-1, 0-2-1 ACC). He registered five shots, including two on goal, and a score in 90 minutes of play.

Although known more as a defensive player and facilitator for the Tar Heels (7-0-1, 3-0-0 ACC), Olofson was dynamic all over the field on Saturday.

It took less than four minutes for Olofson to etch his name into the scoring column. The play started with junior Colton Storm’s strong run down the right side, and then sophomore Zach Wright whipped in a pass to Olofson for the finish.

“I think that’s just kind of how the game played out,” said Olofson about his goal. “I was able to find some pockets going forward. I was able to capitalize on one of them.”

Although it was only his first goal of the season, Olofson took his chance calm and collected.

“I’m happy for him. He’s an important player for us,” said fellow senior midfielder Raby George. “He’s a hard worker; he’s very disciplined and a ball winner. (He’s) very calm and composed on the ball and helps us control the game.”

And that’s exactly what Olofson did against Duke. Along with his goal, he controlled the ball and had multiple defensive stops, including a big tackle in the waning minutes of the game.

With about two minutes left in the match, one of Duke’s players pushed the ball toward the UNC box and threatened to score. But Olofson slid in and knocked the ball upfield.

“Alex is going to play to win every game,” Coach Carlos Somoano said. “If it’s offensive, he’ll be there. If it’s defensive, he’ll be there. If it’s passing, he’ll be there.”

Somoano said he trusts Olofson, and he said he believes his experience is key for the team moving forward this season, especially in ACC play.

North Carolina is a young team, especially on the offensive end. Olofson appeared in 59 matches during his first three years at UNC, bringing a lot of needed experience to the Tar Heels.

The main focus for the team right now is the next game, and both Olofson and Somoano emphasized the idea that the team can’t look too far ahead.

“I feel really good right now. I think we’re clicking, and our chemistry is good,” Olofson said. “Obviously we have a few things to improve on, but I feel really good.”

He said he was happy with both his goal and the result but was ready to move on with the season.

“This is a team sport, and it’s a team effort,” he said. “I just want us to score.”

@YonaDagalosi