Men's soccer team battles William & Mary to 1-1 draw

Fans filled the stadium at Fetzer Field in search of an easy victory, but the No. 4 North Carolina men’s soccer team settled for a 1-1 tie with William & Mary after 20 extra minutes.

The Tribe (1-1-1) brought an up-tempo style to Chapel Hill, accumulating 13 fouls during Friday's match — including a red card.

Goalkeeper James Pyle gave up the first goal of the Tar Heels' young season in the 44th minute. A lost clean sheet for the redshirt freshman wasn’t the only calamity, as Pyle had to leave the game with an injury to his pelvis.

UNC (2-0-1) answered with a goal of its own just 74 seconds later, when senior captain Jonathan Campbell knotted the game at a goal apiece with a header.

After a questionable slide tackle by William & Mary’s John Fuquene in the 72nd minute, a straight red was issued, giving the Tar Heel front three more space to work with.

The extra space led to seven shots in the second half, but that wouldn’t be enough for UNC. Extra time would be necessary to settle the battle.

In the final seconds of overtime, Alex Olofson broke free and found enough space to get a shot off. But Tribe goalkeeper Mac Phillips breathed a sigh of relief when the ball missed the back of the net by inches.

The overtime period brought the fans to their feet with a myriad of other attacks from the speedy Alan Winn and Andy Lopez, but William & Mary’s back four resisted the Tar Heels' charge to maintain the draw.

Quotable

“We’re not going to stress about this. We will learn from it. We didn’t have sharpness from the opening whistle. It didn’t matter when they lost a man.” — UNC coach Carlos Somoano

Notable

UNC didn't allow a goal in its first two games of the season, but William & Mary’s Ryder Bell changed that in the 44th minute when he bested the Tar Heels' defense.

Three numbers that matter

2: Goalkeepers who saw action for the Tar Heels. Pyle’s injury at the end of the first half led to Sam Euler’s first appearance in goal this season.

25: Fouls in the game. The Tribe's aggressive, fast-paced nature translated into the referee blowing his whistle frequently.

38: Minutes William & Mary played a man down following Fuquene's red card. 

What's next? 

The Tar Heels host the Tulsa Golden Hurricane on Sunday at 7 p.m.

@davidrallenjr