UNC men's soccer player Hume shines coming from the bench

Field Hockey 3-0 victory over Miami of Ohio

The North Carolina men’s soccer team might have found its “super-sub” in redshirt junior Tucker Hume, who scored the game-winning goal in UNC’s 2-1 victory over the University of North Florida on Monday night.

With seven minutes left in the second half, Hume chested down a cross and struck the ball into the top left corner of the net to secure the go-ahead goal for the Tar Heels.

“I knew it was going to come to my chest, so I know to bring it down as soon as possible and to get the shot off,” he said. “It was definitely one of my better goals.”

The strike gave Hume his fourth goal on the year, vaulting him to tops among his teammates in goals scored just seven games into the season.

“It is obviously cool to be the leading scorer, but it doesn’t matter,” he said. “It would be just as good if I was the team assist leader as long as I’m helping the team.”

While Hume comes off the bench for UNC, he still plays significant minutes for the Tar Heels. He came in about 19 minutes into the first half and played for the remainder of the period.

When Hume subbed into the game in both halves, he was the spark plug the Tar Heels needed to ignite their offense.

“He’s effective when he comes on right away, which is what you need from a bench player,” said sophomore forward Alan Winn.

“He’s one of the most efficient forwards out there when he steps on the field.”

UNC coach Carlos Somoano believes Hume is more effective in his current role coming off the bench.

“He’s focused when he comes off the bench,” Somoano said.

“The advantage for a guy like Tucker is that he hasn’t logged as many minutes as our starters. It’s great to have a player that is fresh.”

Hume doesn’t take pride in the title of “super-sub,” but rather in the unique style of play he brings to the North Carolina attack.

“I bring a different style as far as being someone who has a big, physical presence up top,” said Hume, who is 6-foot-5 and weighs 211 pounds.

“I’m someone that can hold up the ball and just be physical in the box. I’m trying to be as dangerous as I can be in the final third for my teammates and for myself.”

As the season rolls on, Hume will look to maintain his level of play. If the impressive performances continue, he might find himself moving into the Tar Heels’ starting lineup.

While Somoano attributes the forward’s success to his freshness, he also believes there is something else helping the redshirt junior out.

“Tucker is a Texas guy, he just plays,” Somoano said. “Texas guys just play hard.”

@Evan_Chronis