Cayson Collins delivers against Georgia Tech

“He’s finally understanding how and what kind of impact he can make based on how he practices,” Coach Larry Fedora said.

In North Carolina’s 38-31 win over Georgia Tech on Saturday, the linebacker tied for the team lead with 10 total tackles and nine solo tackles.

“(Linebackers) Coach (John Papuchis) kind of put it on me that I have to kind of grow up within the defense and within the scheme,” Collins said. “A lot more responsibility is going to be put on me.”

Collins was responsible for perhaps the most important play of the game.

With the Yellow Jackets ahead 28-24 and the ball on UNC’s 36-yard-line, Collins hit Georgia Tech quarterback Justin Thomas, forcing a fumble the Tar Heels recovered and converted into a touchdown just one play later.

“The guys around me are expecting a lot more from me, so I have to step up to the plate and deliver when I’m called on,” Collins said.

And the linebacker delivered all afternoon in Bobby Dodd Stadium.

If his forced fumble wasn’t the biggest play of the game, then it came during Georgia Tech’s next drive. Collins exploded through the line on third-and-two, blistering A-back Clinton Lynch for a three-yard loss and forcing a fourth down the Yellow Jackets couldn’t convert.

“I felt like I was in the right place at the right time, you know, doing my job,” Collins said.

According to Fedora and fellow linebacker Jeff Schoettmer, the mentality shift they have seen in Collins recently has been obvious.

“I’ve seen more maturity out of him in the last two weeks than I have in the two years he’s been here,” Schoettmer said. “He’s really come on. It was kind of tough for him at the beginning of the season because he wasn’t the starter. And he took that hard.”

After Joe Jackson suffered a career-ending neck injury against South Carolina, defensive coordinator Gene Chizik tinkered with his starting linebackers — including moving Schoettmer outside — before giving Collins the starting spot.

“He got another opportunity to get his job back and he’s taken it and run with it,” Schoettmer said. “If he plays like that, we’re going to be a great defense.”

With six second-half tackles, two tackles for losses and the forced fumble, Collins was certainly critical to the defensive unit that limited Georgia Tech to 10 points and 51 rushing yards in the second half.

“Sometimes the light doesn’t come on for some guys as quick as others,” Fedora said. “But I think Cayson will see that because of his week of practice, he was able to make really big plays out there.

“And hopefully he’ll just keep doing that.”

@CarlosACollazo